Throughout history, people suffer from varicose veins on the legs. It is believed that this disease is a kind of revenge for our upright posture - something no other mammal is not experiencing such problems. Women are more prone to diseases than men. It is the age factor, but the doctors say that in recent times, varicose veins on the legs is much younger - between patients, but now they are also students.
What are varicose veins on the legs
Spider veins, bulging swollen knotted veins - such as varicose veins, look, you know, probably all. So let's talk about that in his illness occurs inside the veins.
Varicose vein elasticity reduces and, consequently, expand them. Within the veins are characterized by flaps that regulate the flow of blood to the heart from the lower extremities. If this "door" to function properly, then no problem. In the event of errors in their functioning, and develops varicose veins. The valves are closed, preventing the flow of blood to the heart, causing it to stagnate in the veins. Of course, increases the pressure and pushes blood from the deep veins in the thicker thinner closer to the skin, the blood vessels. The system of these veins is not adapted for the installation of such quantity of blood as a result of their walls are not only excessive stretch, but more and destroyed.
The result of this process has become clearly visible on skin, spider veins, which by themselves represent a serious aesthetic problem. The disease progresses, a thin weakened veins are becoming more prominent, distinctive blue color, thicken, and soon appear nodules.
Causes of varicose veins
There are many factors that significantly increase the likelihood that a given person will suffer from varicose veins:
- Genetic inheritance from parents or grandparents, faced with varicose veins, a descendant may be "yes" in Vienna with a special structure (weakness of connective tissue, incomplete, valves, etc); and then, without further observance of preventive measures is probably must sooner or later become a patient with the diagnosis "varicose veins on the legs".
- The hormonal fluctuations - most often affects women (menopause, menstruation, pregnancy, etc), which explains clearly, the gender selectivity of the disease; in addition, the risk for varicose veins increases and treatment - it is scientifically proven that they contained female sex hormones and their deputies greatly reduce the elasticity of the venous walls.
- Nerve disorders, stress, depression, and all of this reduces the tone of blood vessels, because the elasticity of their walls is governed by the nerve endings.
- Inflammatory diseases of the pelvic organs (which, again, are more common in women) - these processes can cause a hormonal imbalance, but can also damage the small blood vessels.
- Lack of physical activity in life - due to long seating the vein is compressed, it hinders the flow of blood decreases the tone of the venous walls, and finally the blood begins to stagnate, and there is the varicose veins (today, doctors have even a special term - computer, varicose veins, therefore, are for a larger number of patients, the cause of the disease, which was seated before a flicker of the screen).
- Excessive exercise - these include weight lifting, excess weight, pregnancy, work, associated with the long-term; as a result, significantly increase the pressure on veins that lead to the formation of varicose veins.
- Flat feet.
- Habit always and everywhere to "flaunt" on the wrong high heels.
- Constipation, which increases pressure in the abdomen.
- Damage and disease.
- Paul - as mentioned above, is the risk for the occurrence of varicose veins in women above.
- The structure of the body - usually, varicose veins are more likely to suffer, it is people with above-average growth.
Symptoms of varicose veins on the legs
Symptoms of varicose veins is characterized by the gradual progression. Clear signs of irregularities immediately, in the first instance, the disease is manifested by:
- swelling of the feet, especially after a long stay in a sitting or standing position, that is, as a rule, to pass in the morning, the first sign that the deep veins do not cope with their duties;
- cramps and numbness of the legs, most often this is the symptom that shows up night and morning;
- the feeling of weight, burning sensation, itching and pain in the legs, especially characteristic for the second half of the day;
- the first visible signs - the typical red-blue spider veins and veins, clearly visible on the skin.
The first warning signs should not delay with the visit to the doctor. As you know, all the diseases that most respond well to treatment in the early stages. If symptoms have been ignored and the patient is not considered to be a sufficient ground for finding qualified help in the future, was waiting for properties, such as:
- a thickening and darkening of the skin of the calf: so is it the stains and peeling;
- the blood vessels become painful when probing;
- severe pain in the muscles, the intensity of which increases during walking;
- the appearance of the speakers over the skin of the legs and feet, venous nodes.
If correct treatment will not be called at this stage, the patient will undoubtedly be serious complications, which will be discussed later.
When to see a doctor?
There are signs of a phenomenon, which is the absolute indication for urgent treatment to the doctor. These include:
- feeling of weakness, combined with the shortness of breath and a feeling of lack of oxygen;
- sharp sharp pain in the feet, the body is sealed, the burning sensation;
- start bleeding calling the fears and suspicions of the plot.
How is this diagnosis?
An accurate diagnosis can only ask the doctor - phlebologist or vascular surgeon. To see a specialist, preferably at the first warning signals of the body. Of course, the first testing procedures and examination of a patient. Then, in order to confirm the diagnosis and gain the maximum information about the nature and severity of the disease may need the following procedures:
- Ultrasound of the veins in the process of study, not only revealed the presence of varicose veins, but also conclusions about the direction of blood flow, presence of clots and tumors, to assess the enlargement of the blood vessels;
- contrast venography is very accurate and informative methods of research, results that there is a possibility to fully assess the condition of the veins; this review is performed by introducing into the human body a contrast agent, a coloring of the blood.
Both methods are interchangeable. Since at least the invasiveness of the in recent times, prefer to an ultrasound of the blood vessels.
How dangerous are varicose veins?
Varicose is an aphorism created by the doctors "Disease, which is manifested on the legs, and shooting in heart." Really, this disease is not only an aesthetic problem, the problem and reduces the quality of life. In the absence of qualified medical help, varicose veins lead to serious complications, including death.
Thus, the effects of varicose veins on the legs can be:
- thrombophlebitis - a disease accompanied by the formation of inflammatory processes in the affected veins;
- violation of nutrition of tissues;
- increased pigmentation;
- increased blood clots - dangerous, not only for health, but also for the life of the complication.
We have to say about such a common "companion" varicose veins on the legs, such as trophic ulcers. The reason for its creation in constant venous insufficiency, and high blood pressure in the veins. So ulcers usually heal slowly, they are very difficult to heal and with this the possibility to limit the work capacity of the patient and may even cause disability. Swelling, severe pain and even a bad smell - all this, life was very difficult. The emergence of trophic ulcers varicose veins of the person, which also contributes minor damage and abrasions, that it is simply impossible to avoid. By the way, sometimes (in rare cases) of these lesions transform into malignant tumor.
Treatment of varicose veins on the legs
Treatment of varicose veins of the legs depends first from the stage of the disease. If we are talking about the initial stages of the disease, when not yet declared complications and irreversible processes, which is often used in conservative treatment, i.e. a treatment without surgery, which may include the following procedures:
- Treatment with medications - it comes, as a tablet (venotonics, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, anticoagulants), and on local resources, this is all kinds of ointments.
- Compression therapy - wearing special compression socks or, alternatively, wrapping the foot with an elastic bandage.
- Pneumatic massage is performed with the use of the device pneumomasser, activates blood circulation, improves tissue trophism and as a result, the unpleasant symptoms of varicose veins reduces and disappears.
- Sclerotherapy is used in the case when there is no removal of the affected veins, is not enough. Is performed without a surgical scalpel, the vein injected a special overlapping flow of blood medicine, as a result, the vessel gradually atrophies and disappears. This is not happening quickly, during the year may need one session, but the effect is scleroplastic worth it.
- Endovisal laser photocoagulation is one of the most modern methods, is performed under local anesthesia, the result can be evaluated after a month.
- Leeches - this is one of the nonconventional methods of treatment of varicose veins of the legs, which is based on the leeches - with the bark of the skin of the patient and subsequent sucking, they produce dilution of blood substances, hirudin; however, today it is possible to do without the leeches - on the shelves of the pharmacies, there are many preparations containing this tool.
The prevention of varicose veins
Special attention to the prevention of varicose veins on the legs should be given to people at risk: those whose relatives suffer from this disease, representatives of certain professions (teachers, hairdressers, etc), people who are overweight, pregnant women, etc ..
First and foremost you need to lead an active way of life. Sport (swimming, Bicycle), prefer Hiking "standing" to travel in public transport, the climb to your floor by stairs, not the Elevator, etc ..
Those, who by profession is forced to spend a lot of time in a sitting or standing position, we need to be aware of the following recommendations:
- With the long-term better from time to time shift from one leg to another, while wiggling fingers.
- Office workers spending days for the screen of your computer, it is recommended to occasionally put his feet up on the table - in this position significantly improves the outflow of blood from the veins of the lower extremities.
- Small feet is you can reduce the dangerous pressure; and, moreover, it is very comfortable in long periods of sitting to perform the basic exercises.
- Simple exercise, consisting of occasionally lifting the toes, contributes to the tension of the leg muscles and improves the blood flow up.
- At least once per hour for 5-10 minutes, should be off the bench and get some exercise.
Compression is used not only for the treatment of varicose veins, but also for its prevention. For example, if a person in the family who suffer from this disease, during pregnancy, during flights and long journeys by bus or train, in the process of training it is better to use compression socks or wrap the feet with an elastic bandage.
If the problem is already in itself, even in the most mild, you should avoid the following:
- taking oral contraceptives (containing hormones, which can aggravate the condition);
- wearing shoes with high heels;
- excess weight and obesity;
- eating salty, fatty and spicy dishes;
- transport heavy bags and suitcases (now very popular Luggage on wheels);
- depilation wax;
- long hot baths;
- saunas and baths;
- alcohol abuse, Smoking;